Friday, November 13, 2009

Race Report: Waterford 5K

I started with my Race Prep Ritual the night before. I layed everything out and made sure I had everything I needed (and of course took advantage and snagged a picture).

I was nervous because the weather was dropping and was expected to hit 59 degrees and I worried about the race weather. I've never run in the cold and to me the high 60s are already considered CHILLY!

To my Surprise, Race Weather was actually FAB-U-LOUS!


I focused on staying IN THE BOX:
The Box: all day long you are going to race inside a box defined by what you can control. Ask yourself "What do I need to do right NOW to create the conditions for success at The Line? Is what I'm doing right now counter to this goal?
I am not partial to afternoon races, especially now that I am FINALLY able to run in the mornings mostly because it leaves too much time during the day for the build up of excitement ... on second thought that may be a good thing.


As soon as the pistol went off and scared the mass of IT Geeks that frequent the Waterford area, a central hub of offices and software companies and the Miami headquarters of 3 Fortune 500 companies, and the crowd was off with a YELP!

A couple of my co-workers passed me right at the start some I thought should and some I thought shouldn't but I was not going to let anyone distract me. I was going to run my race and not let anyone stop me.

(side note: I later found out that co-worker was DNF because she was trying to keep up with me and went off way too fast)


I picked out a runner to chase for the moment and stayed on him. I looked at my watch in the waning light and noted he was doing 6.0 MPH. It scared me but my breathing was good and the adrenaline was flowing so I figured I'd ride the wave as far as I could.

I surprised myself and stayed on him for the entire first mile at the end of which I saw I had run it in 10:19.37.

Then it hit me! I might just be able to do this!


I didn't want to get too excited and blow it!
I reminded myself to stay IN THE BOX. By the time I noticed again I had lost my runner so picked out a couple with flashing bicycle lights attached to the backs of their shirts. I checked the Garmin and they were doing a respectable 5.6 MPH. I wished I could go faster by my breathing was becoming labored and I new I needed to dial back a bit.

I stayed on them until the end of mile 2 which I completed at 10:52.23. But then I started to get a side stitch .

Yikes, I've never had a side stitch before! Am I running too hard? Will this ruin my Half-Marathon Race? But my goal was within reach! I just needed to keep it steady.

I lost the couple but I wasn't going to let them make me falter. I was nearing the final leg. I remembered a tip from Discom-BOB-ulated Running about picking a word and repeating it in your head while your running. It distracted me long enough to make it within sight of the finish line.

I didn't think I had a sprint in me. I wanted to leave it in this race, I wanted to make a full effort! But I REALLY didn't think I had a sprint in me.

My eyes focused as the clock rolled over into 34:02.0

I CAN MAKE IT! I CAN MAKE IT BELOW 35:00.0

Something possessed me and I WAS SPRINTING A FULL SPRINT!

I even flew past my co-worker who was slowing down for the finish! :)

Overall Place: 368 of 693 (47th Percentile)
Age Group Place: 23 of 53 (57th Percentile)
Finish Time: 34:41
Net Time: 34:23
Average Pace: 11:04

I made my A-Goal and a NEW PTR!

What a way to start this two-fer race weekend!

Stay tuned for the 13.1 Fort Lauderdale Race Report this Sunday :) Now, I'm REALLY EXCITED!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Awesome job!! It's amazing how you can always dig out a sprint at the end when you see that clock. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! You stayed in the box and did awesome! Can't wait to hear how the half went!

    ReplyDelete