Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Eatting Habits Changing?

It occurred to me last night that my eating habits have changed. Now, consciously I am not doing anything different but I've noticed I am making healthier choices.

Case in point:

Tuesday - Every meal I had was chock full of veggies and no meats. I did have animal proteins (eggs for breakfast and cheese with lunch) so I wasn't Vegan for the day but when I realized this made me all kinds of happy.

Mom wanted to get us Pita Chips to go with our hummus and I actually said that I'd prefer carrots or celery! SHOCK AND AWE!!!!!

I also gave away the soda that came with my lunch. I am keeping it Aspartame and Phenylalanine Free! I just think about it and I remember it's part of formaldehyde and that's it! I am officially grossed out!

Wednesday - Now you can tell I've been reading Born to Run because I ordered Chia Seeds.

I read that: (Click on text for link to site)
"If you try mixing a spoonful of Chia in a glass of water and leaving it for approximately 30 minutes or so, when you return the glass will appear to contain not seeds or water, but an almost solid gelatin. This gel-forming reaction is due to the soluble fiber in the Chia. Research believe this same gel-forming phenomenon takes place in the stomach when food containing these gummy fibers, known as mucilages, are eaten. The gel that is formed in the stomach creates a physical barrier between carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down, thus slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar.

In addition to the obvious benefits for diabetics, this slowing in the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar offers the ability for creating endurance. Carbohydrates are the fuel for energy in our bodies. Prolonging their conversion into sugar stabilizes metabolic changes, diminishing the surges of highs and lows creating a longer duration in their fueling effects.

One of the exceptional qualities of the Chia seed is its hydrophilic properties, having the ability to absorb more than 12 times its weigh in water. Its ability to hold on to water offers the ability to prolong hydration. Fluids and electrolytes provide the environment that supports the life of all the body’s cells. Their concentration and composition are regulated to remain as constant as possible. With Chia seeds, you retain moisture, regulate, more efficiently, the bodies absorption of nutrients and body fluids. Because there is a greater efficiency in the utilization of body fluids, the electrolyte balance is maintained."

and I was sold!

I got my bag yesterday. It looked like a 2 pound bag of bird seed. (I think I got a really good deal for it, 15 bucks for 2 pounds!)

I couldn't wait to try it. So I took an apple juice at work and served it in a cup added 1 tsp and waited for them to do their magic. I only waited about three minutes and I couldn't wait anymore ... I now know it takes about 30 minutes for them to "do ALL their magic!" But still, I have an idea what they mean about the gel, they have a very different texture. Didn't notice any real taste to the seeds, just YUMMY apple juice!

Again noticed a difference in my food choices (still not making any conscious effort) and very happy with them.

Today - Had breakfast at 8am and just had a snack of 1/2 a weight control oatmeal which served as a vessel for my Chia seeds. Also, pre-ordered my lunch from Fit-2-Go (and considering ordering all of next week ahead of time) .

Lunch today will be a Tuna Salad Wrap and Country Apples.

I love the fact that when you order from them you know EXACTLY what your getting!

I guess what they say is true: Keep focusing on your goal and everything else will fall into place on it's own ;)

Question 1: Does anyone know how much Chia Seeds I should shoot for having each day?

Question 2: Anyone know how Chia Seeds are best consumed for maintaining hydration during a run?

Question 3: Anyone know any COOL recipes for Chia Seeds?

Happy Thursday!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I either use chia seed in my oatmeal (3 tbls) or I do what you did and leave them in juice (grape). You can pretty much put them in anything (I've used them with my eggs or in a protein shake)...

    They do get stuck in my grill, but besides that they're a good dietary supplement...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get on the Chia seed train! I love it that you can't taste them. I am so jealous of fit-to-go--that is pretty inexpensive too since I spend that easily on lunch a day and I have to drive to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep reading about these Chia seeds and I'm very curious and want to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Born to Run although I've not yet pulled the trigger on the chia seeds. You've inspired me to do so though!

    ReplyDelete