Monday, December 7, 2009

Notes on my 18 Miler

Today I would like to do a re-cap of my 18 miler (mostly for my own posterity and incase I need to review my long run strategies at a later date)

Pre-Run Meal: 1/3 cup of Apple Juice & Spirulina and half of a PBJ on Potato Bread.

I used my 2 liter (64 ounce) camel back with Orange Gatorade. I was concerned about the calories being that I am going on nice long run and burning about 1600 calories but then I did the math and the Gatorade would be 400 calories and the 4 shot blocks would be another 132 calories that I would be in taking through it so I figured it would be ok. (Yes, this is the stuff I think about while I run).

I wanted to start running at my regular pace like on Friday (I'm not very fast and I really perfer not to slow down anymore than I have to) but I knew it would probably be better if I didn't and I guess my body agreed and my run went something like this:

Mile 1 0:12:13 4.91
Mile 2 0:12:31 4.79
Mile 3 0:13:06 4.58
Mile 4 0:12:51 4.67
Mile 5 0:13:02 4.60
Mile 6 0:13:27 4.46
Mile 7 0:12:20 4.86 *
Mile 8 0:12:23 4.85
Mile 9 0:13:51 4.33
Mile 10 0:12:46 4.70
Mile 11 0:13:12 4.55
Mile 12 0:12:40 4.74
Mile 13 0:13:08 4.57
Mile 14 0:12:27 4.82
Mile 15 0:12:48 4.69
Mile 16 0:12:53 4.66
Mile 17 0:12:28 4.81
Mile 18 0:13:00 4.62
Extra 0:00:20 3.60

* Stopped the clock for potty break.

I tried to keep my Garmin at about 4.8 and after the first 6 or 7 or so miles started using a walk-run method. My watch was set to beap at a 5:1 ration but I tended to skip every other walk break giving me a 12:1 walk ratio instead.

For the first time, I experienced HUNGER on a run. At about mile 10 my stomach was rumbling as if I hadn't eaten in days. I started to use the shot bloks more frequently at this point (I had only had 1 up to this point) so I started having a portion of one ( i cut mine in fours to make them bite sized) every half mile or so.

I also feel like maybe I was over hydrating because towards the end my stomach felt sloshy but when I got home, Mr. Boyfriend did his PALENESS inspection and I got the seal of approval. I was happy to earn since I didn't get it on my 15 miler, he said I looked pale and tired and I had dark bags under my eyes, but not this time. I think HYDRATION was the KEY!

In Review - Week of November 30th:
Full Marathon Training Week 10 of 18:
WORKOUT DISTANCE AVG Speed TIMES
36.93 Miles4.824
0 MilesN/A0
0 MetersN/A0

Total Workout Time: 07:47:12
Total Running Time: 10:07:17
I was so happy when I got my Daily Mile Weekly Training Report.

I was at the top of the leader board this week! It was my first time :)

I no longer have any doubts about being able to complete the FULL MARATHON! My 18 miler got me hyped up! I CAN SO DO THIS! :)

Next thing to work on is improving that time ;)

Happy Monday!

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Great job! Apple juice? before a run? oh my!!

    Apple juice and myself do NOT get along what-so-ever!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the 18 miler! You'll be ready for the ING when it comes...no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eliza - you're amazing. I've been a big lag on my blogs lately and you're now running 18 miles! Wow! Well done. How do you find running with the camel back? I'm thinking about getting one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome job on the 18! To avoid hunger pangs on long runs, I eat my shot blocks early on, and eat more as soon as the initial 'tired' feelings come. I find this to be helpful, as well as having some solid food, like bread or pretzels on long runs (and then I have something to look forward to as well! ) :) Keep it up you are doing so wonderful

    ReplyDelete