Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Summer, where have you gone?

I heard on the radio this morning Summer was ending.

It hadn't occurred to me and I thought: School has started. Labor day is this weekend. True Bloods is nearing it's season finale. And, come to think of it, for the last week or so my runs have been so much more comfortable.

I should have known the tide was turning. Last weekend I took out my knitting supplies (something I only do in Autumn and winter) and I have been looking over a Brown Sugar Scrub Recipe as of late, daydreaming of adding spice for an ultra exfoliating spa-bath experience to make for myself and the mommy. I guess it's that subtle string that ties us back to our caveman days. It's that time to get the nest ready for the brutal winter. Mind you, our brutal winters in Miami last an average of 3 or 4 days and usually don't go below 50°degrees.

It's almost funny how those instincts are still in us all.

... and now back to our regularly scheduled program ...

Last night's run was H.A.R.D.!

I started out early, at about 5:30pm, because the day was nice and cloudy and comfortable at 87° with 69% humidity. You could feel that rain threatened but that it had no intention of coming through.

My stomach was feeling achy but I didn't want another Monday of "Felt sick. Was lazy. Just watched True Blood and anything else on TV". So I still set out, not even sure I would finish the 6 miles I was hoping to get through although anything I could accomplish would have made me happy at that point.

I walked out the door, hair only half picked up and with no water or shot bloks in my possession and just started to run.

As soon as I started I noted I was running a decent 6.0 MPH but I could feel my energy was on the low end. I usually start out my runs at about a 7.0 MPH and fade down from there. I started to wonder if I could even get through my short course of 3 miles. Then I started to visualize ... I pictured the route, the 6 mile route and got it firmly planted in my head ... it was what I wanted ... it was what I was going to do.

I kept pushing. I fought to keep my speed in the above 5.0 MPH range but I had to stop and walk about 2 or 3 times being mindfully of keeping my walking time short less it wreak havoc on up my splits. I knew I wasn't going to break any record but I still wanted a decent showing.

As I neared the end of the 4th mile I was still running and had the chance to turn around and head home with a potential 4.8M which would have been respectable in hind sight. But I was focused ... the thought didn't cross my mind!

I started the final leg of my course and heard rumbles in the distance. I feared the rain had decided to come through on it's threat and I wondered how it would feel to run my last mile in the rain. I though it might be awfully nice and cool and also up my runner-street-cred to say "I run in the rain!". WOOP, I felt a cold drop on my left elbow. I sped up a bit and feared it would start sooner than I hoped. Then nothing.

I need to get closer to home before this down pour starts! I kept pushing. I didn't feel anything and I almost sighed of relief when: WOOP, I felt a cold drop on the back of my neck. Keep pushing. Then nothing.

Then it occurred to me that's not the rain ... that's just your cold sweat drops flying off your hair which you forgot to pick up in your usual slicked back style. I laughed almost audibly.

I finished the run without incident. Making it to 6.16 miles in 1:13:45.

The rain never came. Although it played it's teasing rumbling game most of the night.

And I vowed never to leave home un-prepared again.

The End.

On deck for this evening: 3 mile run with my co-worker and Inglorious Basterds with Mr. Boyfriend.


Happy Tuesday!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment