Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wednesday

I am torn.

Suddenly yesterday, I became indecisive about whether I should do the Disney Marathon on 1/10/2010 or the ING Miami Marathon on 1/31/2010.

Here's the Breakdown:
  • Disney Marathon has a better course. You do have to run on roads but there are people all the way through. According to some course reviews I've read the ING Miami course becomes a little desolate after the 13.1 breakaway. Your running in downtown, there are not as many people doing the full and you might spot some homeless people hanging out.
  • Disney Marathon has a lot more people. The first mile (some said 3-4 miles) will be slow so I may not be able to gauge my true run time but then again my first marathon should not be about time, right?
  • Disney Marathon has ALOT more photo ops. There are photographers all over the parks at key points. Giving opportunity for multiple race pics. ING Miami just has the end and I've had some narly end race pics :\ would hate for it to happen here.
  • If I did the Disney I would need to stay at a hotel ... means I'd need to spend more $$$
  • If I did the Disney, I could invite my uncle and his family to come see me and cheer me on. He lives in Tampa and I know he would (he did it when I competed in Judo). Also, could possibly invite my estranged father with the excuse that it is DISNEY and tell him to bring his family to come see me and ask him to bring my Puerto Rican Grammy (whom I ADORE!). Which would then give me the excuse of brining my Cuban Grammy who would love going to Disney ... it's win/win all over the place.
  • Doing the Disney will push me up 3 weeks in my training ... not necessarily a good thing :\
I've asked for a couple of opinions (ok, two so far) and I've gotten the same response:
"Why not do both!"
Not entirely UN-feasible. They are 3 weeks apart.

But what if I decide after doing the Full that I NEVER WANT TO RUN 26.2 EVER AGAIN ... I've heard it said, so I dunno.

In my head, I think I will be HARDCORE and run in to the shute saying "Woo-Hoo, let's do it again" ... but that could just be the G.I. Jane/Lara Croft/Electra Me that lives inside my head! What if the outter me (the one that feels pain) doesn't agree?

I could register for both and then do the Disney Full and take the turn on the ING Half. That's alot of money though :\

Hmmm, So much to consider.

Anyway, Today's run has me psyched. It wasn't a personal record or anything near it. I had trouble getting out the door, my IPOD Shuffle's earphone (I HOPE IT'S JUST THE EARPHONES) died. I even had to stop for a 2-minutes at the end of mile 3 because my left foot was going numb (my Quads again? I think.) but it still got me excited about the Half and the Full Marathon. Woo-Hoo!
Mile 1: 10:24.4
Mile 2: 11:15.5
Mile 3: 11:12.2
Mile 4: 11:57.4
.03 M: 00:23.6

Avg HR 169
Max HR 180

Temp 88.0 °F
Humidity 63%
Scattered Showers (it was clear skies where I was)
After, I did Yoga for Runners (I love Polly!) and had a stab at Foam Roller (I think I'm gonna like it!)

Then I did:
50 Sit-ups
20 Push-Ups
50/50 Under-The-Leg Lifts
... while I watched the tail end of The Biggest Loser. I had never seen it before. It's not terrible ... would need to watch more to form an opinion.

On deck for this evening:
5 Mile run

Have a Happy Hump Day!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I say do either the ING or the Disney, you could run a 1/2 first (in preparation for your marathon), but running a 1/2 a few weeks after completing your first marathon might lead to injury...IMO better to be cautious...(although I'm going to run Chicago on 10/11 then a 1/2 on 10/31, so that advice might sound hypocritical :)

    Your first marathon is such an incredible experience and it's an awesome thing to share with friends and family, but make sure you're running where you're comfortable. If you know the course and can sleep in your own bed...those are 2 huge things not to have to worry about

    Regardless of what you choose, good luck!!

    ReplyDelete