Friday, June 5, 2009

Calibrating The Run

Yesterday, after work I drove straight to the park and got out for a run. I had penciled in a 3 miler but I knew from the moment I arrived that I would do 4 miles. Time was limited but I also wanted to do one of my challenge sets (5 sets of 10 Push-ups/20 Sit-ups/30 Squats).

I also decided that since I found the ARMY Run lines (where the ARMY folks had marked off the 1 and 2 mile loops at thel park I go to) that I would calibrate my Garmin Forerunner 50. I started out with my first lap and found that I didn't set it to CALIB and thus it had not been set up to program ... so I set off on another loop and found that the distance was off by +.2 per quarter mile so I shifted it down and went out for another loop. This time the distance was off by -.5 per quater mile ... frustrated, I adjusted it again and set out for a 4th mile. This time it distance was right on (or close enough for government work ... +.02 per quarter mile). I suspect that the way you run also has alot to do with it so I will run the loop fresh some time next week to finish off the programing and see how it goes and make a HOPEFULLY final adjustment.

Now, by the time I got it all programed ... I was running late for dinner with Mr.Boyfriend's family so I ran off without even stretching and OH BOY! do I regret that today. I recently discovered the importance of the POST-RUN Stretch and am now quite spoiled by big difference it makes.

Remind me not to make evening plans on my running days in the future.

Today I have a date with Mr. Eliptical and Mr. Stair Machine planned with a Challenge Set to boot and Tomorrow I start shifting all runs to the morning. Wish me luck! :)

I hope everyone is having an outstanding day!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment